Friday, January 04, 2008

Will you join the VULVAlution?


Please join me in a collaborative, online feminist art project called VULVAlution.

In a world where women’s bodies continue to be objectified, medicalized, labeled, devalued, and hidden, we need space to understand and celebrate our bodies--and take control of the images created of them. In 2007, Oprah Winfrey talked about her vagina, using the language of Gray's Anatomy, the vajajay. Sometimes we call it "down there," "between the legs," “bits,” “cunt,” “twat,” "coochie" or "pussy." Whatever you call your vagina and vulva, how often do you look at your vulva and vaginal opening? How often do you dwell, then admire, then celebrate them?

This is what I am inviting you to do for a few minutes in 2008. Specifically, I invite you to photograph your vulva and vagina opening. Use a digital camera, a cell phone, a disposable camera, anything you'd like. Just spend the time getting a good picture of your vulva.

Then, if you would, send a picture and some thoughts about what the experience was like to VULVAlution@gmail.com. Tell me about taking the photograph--how did you do it? What did it feel like? How did you feel about the picture? What do you think about emailing it? Posting it to a blog? What do you think about the project, VULVAlution?

You're welcome to send poems, graphics, stories or other expressions inspired by the experience of photographing yourself. With your permission, I'll post them at VULVAlution, the blog at http://VULVAlution.blogspot.com. At VULVAlution, I hope that women will share their experience, make comments and who knows, maybe we’ll even create our own VULVAlution. You can send your photo anonymously, but you must have a valid email to verify that the picture is yours and that you are giving me permission to post it. You are also welcome to use your name - or not - just let me know your preference.

This is a one year only project, so no worries about a photograph of your vulva being online forever. The entire blog will magically disappear on December 31, 2008.

I hope that you'll consider joining the VULVAlution and email me the photo you’ve taken and some words about it. If you don't feel comfortable photographing your vulva and want to send me a few lines for the blog about that, I'd be appreciative of that as well. If you have questions or want to chat on email, send one along to VULVAlution@gmail.com.

Please do feel free to forward this email and link to others who might like to join in on the fun - and to send me an email if you have any questions.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration! I’m looking forward to a year of thinking about and celebrating the vulva at VULVAlution.

No comments: