Friday, September 08, 2006

Check out my column in the Washington Blade

Getting over coming outy)Exiting the closet was never a good strategy for winning equality. Societal problems require collective action.
By JULIE ENSZERFriday, September 08, 2006

IT’S BEEN A hard conclusion for me to embrace. I organized “Speak Outs” for National Coming Out Day in the 1990s. I advocated coming out as critical to our liberation.
I’ve come out to everyone and reveled it in. When I ran out of family members, I moved on to dry cleaners and grocery baggers and state senators and plumbers and metro passengers. I can’t think of a person I haven’t told.
Even still, it’s come time for me to admit that coming out is a flawed strategy. In fact, coming out is the wrong strategy for queer liberation.
Read the full column here.

No comments: