Friday, February 02, 2007

End the tax on DP Benefits


Originally appeared in The Washington Blade
http://www.washingtonblade.com/2007/2-2/view/columns/9931.cfm


End the tax on DP benefitsSame-sex couples are treated unfairly by the IRS and it’s time for the Dems to make changes.
By JULIE ENSZERFriday, February 02, 2007
End the tax on DP benefits
AS OF JAN. 1, 2007, for the first time in my adult life, I am on someone else’s health insurance. That someone else is the woman with whom I’ve lived for 10 years and to whom I have made a lifetime commitment. Still, it makes me uncomfortable to not be working for my own health insurance.
I’m grateful, however, that she works for one of the larger companies in the United States that offers domestic partner benefits. I’m also pleased that she’s over the rage at the amount of paperwork that she had to complete to “certify” that we are domestic partners when her heterosexual colleagues need only say that they are married.

Read the rest at The Washington Blade here.

No comments: