Call for Submissions
Special Theme Issue Lesbian Poetry – When? And Now!
Deadline: March 1, 2010
Lesbian Poetry – When? And Now!
Poetry has long been important to lesbians, lesbian publishing, and lesbian identity. The Daughters of Bilitis took the name of the organization from the lesboerotic poems of Pierre Louys, Songs of Bilitis. From the Sappho fragments to the words of Gertrude Stein, Alice Dunbar-Nelson, Renee Vivien, Michael Field (two women writing with a pseudonym), Adah Isaacs Menken, Emily Dickinson, Angelina Weld Grimké, Muriel Rukeyser, May Sarton and hundreds of other mid- and late- twentieth century poets, what it means to be lesbian is often expressed and understood through poetry.
This issue of Sinister Wisdom seeks poems by thirty to forty contemporary lesbian poets, each paired with a poem by a lesbian poet of yore. Think about what work inspires your work and submit creative, eclectic, interesting, and unusual pairings for consideration.
Some notes about submission:
- •Each pair should include a poem by the contemporary poet and a “poet of yore.”
- •The submitter should provide a bio of both poets include in the submission.
- •Poets are encouraged to submit up to three pairs of poems for consideration.
- •Pairings of poems and visual art work are also welcome.
- •Other creative responses to the theme are welcome.
- •Permission to print both poems must be secured by the submitter. Please discuss copyright and permission with the guest editor well in advance of deadline.
For manuscript submission guidelines, please visit the Sinister Wisdom website here: http://www.sinisterwisdom.org/help.html#submission
Submit manuscripts to Julie R. Enszer, 6910 Wells Parkway, University Park, MD 20782 with SASE for response or email JulieREnszer@gmail.com
Questions, queries, comments? Please email Julie R. Enszer at JulieREnszer@gmail.com