Saturday, October 28, 2006

OUR LIVES ARE NOT SUBJECT TO A VOTE


Yesterday’s Washington Blade includes my most recent column about ballot initiatives and putting people up for a vote. In many ways, I’m disheartened by this “democracy.” What I want most of all is for elected officials to stand up for us and say that it’s not right to vote against gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people and our families. That doesn’t happen time and again. What we get instead are scripted, calculated responses that speak to a “middle.” I think that we need to be asking ourselves hard questions about our democracy and how we want to deal with people in it.
Please read the column and let me know what you think. Comment on the blog or email me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Julie,

I did comment on WWTTA. I agree with you whole-heartedly and you have made me realize how bizarre this use of the vote is, how it by its very nature (the choices and who is to be allowed to exist and who not, who controlled and who not) it reveals atavistic prejudice at work.

Ellen