Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Timeframe of Our Work


This morning’s Writer’s Almanac reminded me of the timeframe of our work. On Thursday night, after a long day at work, I sat down to read the mail and had a mailing to all graduate students at the University of Maryland. There are 10,000 of us next year! One of the services offered to graduate students is “helping graduate students build skills relevant to completing the dissertation (i.e., goal setting and time management). This lead me to despair. Those are two goals that I have worked on and, while they are always a process, are two areas in which I believe I have some mastery. No where in this six page mailing is there anything about how the University will make me smart enough to write a dissertation. That is what I wanted to read. So I think of that as I think of Mott and Stanton. Our horizon must necessarily be long.

To celebrate this historic convention, we’ll be having dinner with friends and going to see Mamma Mia. I think Emma Goldman would approve.

On this day in 1848, a convention on women's rights was held at Seneca Falls, New York, which was organized by Lucretia Coffin Mott and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. At the convention, they discussed property rights, divorce and women's suffrage. It was the start of the organized women's rights movement in America. But it wasn't until 72 years after the convention, in 1920, that women finally achieved the right to vote.
From The Writer’s Almanac

No comments: