Tuesday, January 08, 2008

New issue! off our backs - Feminism and Culture


I’ve been working for the past year or so on a special issue of off our backs on Feminism and Culture. Just before the holidays it went to the printer and mailed in the last few days of December. Many folks are getting it now. Mine arrived last week and it was - and is - stunningly beautiful. There is for me a particular joy and pride in seeing something that I have had a hand in creating. I felt that when my issue arrived in my mailbox last week.

Then I received this fantastic email from one of the women behind The Spiral Dance Women’s Center and Bookstore in Baltimore, MD. She wrote,

Julie, the response has been amazing!  A man and woman from Frederick drove all the way to Baltimore, just to see the place.  Oh my gosh!  What a blessing.  So, thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

I was pleased to get that email and am happy about the work on off our backs. One of the things I’m interesting in studying academically is feminist publishing and lesbian-feminist publishing. I feel for myself that my academic work is balanced by participation in the real life of publishing. It’s a nice theory/praxis nexus, as one might say in the academic world. At off our backs, we’re working on the next issue on the theme of Women and Happiness. We have almost all of the content for that one done, but have new calls for submissions here. Please think about submitting to off our backs or helping out with this great feminist publication which is just as old as I am!



2 comments:

Nicki Hastie said...

Hi Julie,

Thanks for posting this, and congratulations on your creative hands!

I never did get round to contributing anything on "Feminism and Culture". But I already feel inspired to seriously consider the contribution I could make to the forthcoming issues on "Contemporary Gender Roles" and "Women's Friendships".

I'm now wondering what happened to your plan to write about the sexualisation of women's friendships? I hope it's ok to ask you that question here. You can always answer privately ...

Nicki

Julie R. Enszer said...

Please do submit something to future issues! I do want to write about the sexualization of women's friendships. I am taking a creative non-fiction course this spring, so hopefully I'll be able to work on some of these writing ideas in that class. You'll be the first to receive a draft!