Sunday, January 18, 2009

New CIVILesbianIZATION column on the EDGE Network

CIVILesbianIZATION :: Caring for the Next Generation
by Julie R. Enszer
EDGE Contributor
Wednesday Jan 14, 2009

As Barack Obama prepares to take up residency in the White House and become the 44th President of the United States, I’m thinking about generational transitions.

President-Elect Obama is one example of a generational transition, as the first President born in the 1960s. The election of Bill Clinton was another moment of generational transition, then of people who grew up during the 1960s. It makes me wonder, what is the significance of generations and what do we owe younger generations?

My own thinking about generational transitions comes from my experiences as young lesbian (I came out in 1988), and what I felt at the time was a lack of leaders ahead of me who were role models and mentors.

Read the rest here.

No comments: